DLP Early Intervention Project
This exciting and innovative project involves close liaison with the DLP primary schools to identify students at Key Stage 2 who might benefit from some focused additional provision at the Rock Skills Centre.
A group of 24 children are currently involved.
Date and Time. Tbc
Venue. Red Rock Skills Centre, Sandy Lane Dawlish.
Audience. KS2 (Year 6).
Key aims of the project are to:
- Raise aspirations for the future,
- Boost self confidence, team working and other life skills,
- Through interactive careers education sessions to encourage children to begin to consider their longer term possibilities,
- Through practical skills taster sessions e.g. in construction, to foster a sense of success and appetite for future learning and work.
- Ease transitions from Primary to Secondary school.
Staffing for the project includes
- The Careers Education Information advice and guidance Consultant Devon.
- An experienced Connexions Personal Assistant;
- Primary schools’ own support staff.
Four Careers Education Information advice and guidance sessions are planned, around the key themes of :-
- personal strengths, hobbies, interests, qualities, thoughts for the future;
- key skills required for different career “families”;
- career exploration through the “Bag of Crisps” exercise;
- an Intro to the EILP. (electronic individual learning plan.) Students log on to create a personal space to record interests, basic CV, achievements etc.
Parents will also be invited to an informal discussion with staff to clarify the programme and give any feedback.
The project itself is attracting widespread interest, being one of the first to concentrate additional resources at Key Stage 2 students, recognising that attitudes to disaffection and disengagement are frequently ingrained from a very early stage in a child’s development.
Cost. This project is funded by the Devon County Council South and West Devon Area Partnership.
Contact for more information and to book. Peter Reeves, Red Rock Skills Centre. Telephone 01626 890471.
You can see a list of all Learning Initiatives delivered within Dawlish Learning Partnership schools Here
This blog is for everyone interested in improving the lifelong learning experience within our Learning Community. This includes Teachers and anyone whose role supports learning, parents, carers and of course children and young people. It's your space, if you have any topics you would like to see discussed or questions that you would like raised, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 at 7:18 pm and is filed under Cockwood Primary School, DLP Learning Blog, Exminster Primary School, Gatehouse ACE Academy, Kenn Primary School, Kenton Primary School, KS2, Starcross Primary School, Westcliff Primary School. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply